February 7, 2015

L.A. Music scene

So for this weeks blog I am in Los Angeles, California getting ready for the Grammys on Sunday. While here in L.A., I find myself wondering what the music vibe is here. So far it seems to be a very commercial pop music scene. After going to a few bars, I don't hear any type of EDM or house music. The bars are mostly rock, alternative style music and the clubs are top 40 radio pop music mash ups and mixs. Of corse I am bias to the music that I want to hear at a club but it makes me wonder if EDM is still underground music. Considering even at the Grammys there are only 3 categories that include electronic dance music I am curious if EDM is made to be underground. Even further than that, is America just not the right culture to sustain EDM as a mainstream style like Europe has made EDM. Even further than that, America tends to stick to trends more than welcome new genres and styles of music. Are we as a music culture commercial and coorperately influenced. I think in a lot of ways we are. Even those of us who listen to non commercial underground music seem to be influenced one way or another in our music choices. I'm curious what you guys think. Please let me know.

2 comments:

  1. Yea bro, theres a lot more commercialism and manufacturing in todays music scene that its starting to become sad. I hope that one day more uniqueness and creativity can be brought back to the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang man you're so lucky to be out there right now. I feel like commercial music is just the tip of what is happening on the underground music scene, and in fact it is the other way around, in actuality underground music influences the commercial music.

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you guys think!