Hey everyone, in honor of the Grammys last weekend I thought
that I would make this weeks post about EDM in the Grammys. At the Grammys,
there are really only three categories that involve EDM. They are the remix, non-classical,
dance electronica, non-classical, and best dance album. This is kind of awkward
to me since there is so much of a culture worldwide for dance music. Tiesto won
his first Grammy for best remix recording of John Legends all of me. I was
actually sitting right behind Tiesto when he won the Grammy at the premiere
show last weekend and was glad that the award went to an EDM artist and DJ. The
problem that I have is that there just are not enough credible EDM artists
making any other categories such as pop recordings. Last year Zedd won best
dance recording but wasn’t even nominated for his work with Arianna Grande or
even mentioned with how his work with her boosted her career. Another disappointment
that I had was last year not seeing Swedish House Mafia even get nominated for
best dance record given that their single Don’t You Worry Child made billboards
top 10 in the US and made #1 song worldwide for over 3 months in 2013. These
are credible artists and producers that make a worldwide influence of an
underground style of music, yet they cant even get a nomination in the Grammy’s.
I know it seems like a rant considering that I am a fan of SHM, but in all I would
like to see more categories for dance/EDM as well as see more EDM artists
nominated for Grammys.
I think edm is just a little bit ahead of its time for some people but they are starting to get us to it. also maybe a lot of these newer artist might not have a connection with the recording academy.
ReplyDelete