January 24, 2015

Dance music EVOLVES


My last post ended with the beginning of the use of Electronic instruments in dance music. I was just a kid when I realized that there were other cities that liked house music other than Chicago. I was about 8 years old and was well addicted to house music due to having an older sister and older cousins who introduced me to house music. I used to save my money to buy the newest Bad Boy Bill Hottmix cassette at the record shops. The same time during the 80’s there was a big underground following of a style of house music called “Heartthrob” or “Freestyle”. This was a 120 to 126 BPM four on the floor beat that used electronic instruments that featured love songs that vocalists recorded. Some of the most famous of the time were George LaMond, Stevie B, Cynthia, and the Cover Girls. I think that it is funny due to how artists today like Pitbull and JLO are using and recreating the old heartthrob songs and people think that they are new. But, in reality that is all of the record industry. I happen to be in Florida on vacation with my family in the late 80’s when I was listening to the local radio stations and heard both house music and heartthrob and was amazed that there were other places outside of Chicago that was into these types of dance music. That was the same year that I purchased my first vinyl record by Kraftwork entitled Numbers. This was a single that was stolen from me years later that I understand is really rare today. This was also the time in my life when I realized that I wanted to be a DJ. Once again I was in the middle of the growing Dance music culture that eventually becomes EDM.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is looking nice and cant wait to hear more about your experiences and some of your opinions and facts you bring.

    ReplyDelete

let me know what you guys think!